Friday, January 24, 2014

Ask the CFM: Devils and Clerics (and other folks)

Pic credit: Zigzag Journeys to Northern Lands; via Project Gutenberg.
It's "Ask the Cheap Fantasy Miniaturist", where I try to answer reader questions about 1/72 fantasy miniatures. In this installment, Raph from the 1/72 Minis Google+ group asks:
1- what about tieflings and other d&d playable races (halfeling, ferals, etc.)2 - what would be your choice for a typical d&d cleric ?
1.) Tieflings could simply be any old human figure painted red or some other exotic color, maybe with some horns made from Milliput or Kneadatite. If you're looking for something more overtly devilish, there are certainly possibilities. I've discussed some devilish conversions I made previously. You may also want to check out these demon figures from Twilight Creations; they're a pretty good match for 1/72 figures.

I could do a pretty detailed post about halfings, but I'll keep it short (heh). Turns out there are a lot of DnD halfling figures that work with 1/72 scale. I'd also consider 15mm figures, such as these guys, for 1/72 halflings. Lord of the Rings hobbit minis from Games Workshop may also be something to consider; they look a little too chunky next to 1/72 figures, but aren't bad.

A DnD halfling, Games Workshop hobbit, and Sven.

I'm not sure what you mean by "ferals." If you mean wildmen, there are lots of 1/72 barbarian sets available (these are my favorite). If you mean beastmen, there are various 20mm and 15mm metal figures that ought to work, and headswaps with animal figures are always an option.

2.) There are two images that come to mind when one thinks of a DnD cleric; the armored warpriest, and enrobed holy man. For the former, any old knight figure (such as these) should do the trick. You may also find this post helpful for finding suitable clerics of this type.

There are more 1/72 scale guys in robes than you might imagine. For Christian priests, consider these sets among many. For more generic dudes in robes, these sets may be useful.

Any more questions? Feel free to ask the Cheap Fantasy Miniaturist, and I'll do what I can.

4 comments:

  1. The GW figs look ok height wise..okay a bit chunky but not at all bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Gw hobbits are too high for 1/72 in my opinion !
    the Mithril are smaller and could be used with 1/72 !

    For the clerics, apart plastic figs ( including Strelets and Linear-B), in metal, Kamar has done some too , Toma miniatures also in his new production, and there are some others in Valdemar sets...
    (I've painted the Kamar and also the Pegasus and I intend to paint the others !)

    But I would like to know if I can find some nun and religious in 1/72 or suitable for the scale?

    (answer a question and you have another question !!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two nun figures in the scale that I know of: part of this smaller metal set in metal from Elhiem miniatures (order from the manufacturer here), and in this larger plastic set from Caesar Miniatures.

      Delete